Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Need IT: Citation Applet using Amazon API

Problem: I go to Amazon all the time to use their site for a purpose that, while unintended, I suspect is quite prevalent among academic types like me. I use it to get citation information for books. Trouble is, they don't format the information very conveniently for this purpose. I can't cut and paste with one swipe. The publisher city isn't listed in a convenient spot, nor is the date.

I can't blame them for this. but I must say there is a real opportunity here for somebody to make Amazon the default place that folks like me go to in order to look up a book citation. And while I am there...I just might buy a book (or something else they are always recommending I get). This should be excuse enough for Amazon to do this on their own. But in case they don't...

Bill Needs: Somebody to make use of the Amazon API by writing a little web app that pulls info out of the Amazon product database and formats in various popular citation styles such as APA, Chicago, MLA, etc. Amazon's Web Services (AWS) description makes me think this is possible:

Using AWS, you can access catalog data, create and populate an Amazon shopping cart, and even initiate the checkout process. As an Amazon Associate, you can use our catalog data to create rich, highly effective sites featuring full product data, including accurate and timely product pricing and availability.

This sort of useful bit-o-functionality could be a big driver of traffic to a site, and if folks bought the books for which they had asked for citations by clicking through to Amazon, it could be a win-win financially as well.

Does this Exist? It's not listed among the example apps. But if you or somebody else has done this, show the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home